The dog clothing industry is one of the biggest pet product industries around, with endless amounts of doggy coats, sweaters, and other clothing to choose from. While they may look adorable, most dog clothing is overpriced and rarely worth spending the money on. Instead of buying dog clothes, there are many different ways to make clothes for your dog. Here are 20 DIY dog clothes that you can make at home:
1. No-Sew 5 Min. Dog Sweater – The Thrifty Couple
This no-sew dog sweater is a quick and easy DIY dog sweater that uses your old and tattered sweater or sweatpants. You’ll only need some fabric measuring tape, scissors, and around 5 to 10 minutes to give your dog some warm new clothes. The skill level is easy, with no sewing or stitching involved.
2. No-Sew Dog Bandana – Pretty Fluffy
With a clothing iron and some hemming tape, this no-sew bandana collar cover is the perfect last-minute dog accessory. It only requires a few items around the house and a basic clothing iron, with no sewing or stitching needed. The best part is that it’s quick and easy to make.
3. Easy Dog Sweater with Sleeves – Mimi & Tara
This adorable Dog Sweater Pattern with sleeves is easy to make and sew, with cutouts and images to make the pattern easy to follow. It only requires a little sewing, so you don’t have to be an expert. It’s the perfect pattern to use with hooded sweaters, too.
4. Cozy Custom Dog Coat – Wholefully
If you’re new to the sewing world and want an easy project to start with, the Cozy Custom Dog Coat is a great pattern to try. While there are a lot of materials, the actual project itself is easy to do and doesn’t require a sewing machine. This pattern is also a great starting point for more advanced projects.
5. Dog Coat from Recycled Winter Jacket – Makezine
Using an old winter coat and some Velcro, this easy dog coat pattern will make you feel better about that old windbreaker you’ve been holding onto for too long. With minimal sewing skills and a little time, you’ll have a thick and cozy dog coat for your furry friend.
6. How to Make Dog Pants – Cuteness
We all see dogs wearing jackets and sweaters, but what about dog pants? This is an easy dog pants pattern that only takes a little sewing and some old shirts to make a cute pair of pants. It’s also a great pattern to make pants for costumes.
7. No-Sew Shark Dog Costume – Busy Mom’s Helper
With some fleece and a hot glue gun, you can transform your dog into a great white shark for Halloween. This pattern is so easy that you’ll wonder how you didn’t think of it yourself. The best part of this costume is that it requires no sewing at all.
8. No-Sew Sweater for Small Dogs and Puppies – SewDelish
If you have a small dog or puppy that needs a winter coat, this no-sew sweater for small dogs is a great DIY option. Similar to other no-sew clothing, this uses old clothing as the main body of the coat. Old baby clothes are the perfect soft and cozy fabric for small dogs and puppies.
9. DIY Dog Coat – Ricochet & Away
If your sewing skills are up for a fun challenge, this beautiful DIY Dog Coat is a great step above a basic sewing project. It may take a little time if you’re new to sewing, but your dog will be thankful in the end. It’s also a perfect handmade gift for the dog lover in your social circle.
10. Chic Dog Sweater – DIY Projects
Some dogs deserve a designer style and it’s possible to do that without breaking the bank. This DIY dog sweater uses an old designer sweater and a sewing machine to turn your dog into a fashion statement. It can also be bedazzled for some bling if the sweater is too boring.
11. Canine Carhartt Coat – Instructables
Some dog coats just don’t seem to cut it when it comes to harsh weather. Instead of spending money on an overpriced dog coat that barely works, grab your scissors and old Carhartt coat for the ultimate DIY coat project. Your dog will also look really cool in this, so it’s worth cutting a Carhartt up.
12. Easy Knit Dog Sweater
No DIY dog clothing list can be complete without a knitted sweater pattern. This is a beginner-friendly pattern for new knitters that is worked only in the garter stitch. Impress your friends and family with a new skill and create custom-fitting coats for your pooch.
13. Puppy Pajamas Tutorial – Wildflowers + Whimsy
Dog pajamas with four leg sleeves are sometimes hard to find, but it can be even harder to find a DIY version. This intermediate pajama tutorial is not the easiest project to start with, but it’s super adorable and doesn’t require advanced sewing techniques.
14. Crochet Basic Dog Sweater – Maria’s Blue Crayon
Crochet dog clothing is one of the most popular crochet items, with hundreds of patterns to choose from. If you’re just starting out with crochet, this basic dog sweater is a good pattern to try. It’s simple but looks super stylish, so be ready for lots of compliments.
15. Money-Saving No-Sew DIY Dog Shirt – Bark and Biscuits
This adorable no-sew DIY dog shirt uses an old baby onesie for the cutest doggy t-shirt ever. It’s great because baby onesies come in thousands and thousands of patterns and sizes, so you’ll never have to buy another overpriced dog shirt again.
16. DIY Pineapple Dog Costume – Brit + Co
Dressing dogs in funny and silly costumes can be fun but buying costumes at the pet store adds up quickly. This adorable pineapple dog costume is easy to make and costs a fraction of the price of a retail costume.
17. Well Dressed Dog Coat – Moogly
For a more sophisticated look, this crochet dog coat is a good project after you’ve learned the basics of crochet. It’s made with worsted weight yarn and can be easily memorized once you’ve completed one. This crochet pattern will have people asking where you bought it from.
18. Trash Bag Raincoat – Instructables
This DIY trash bag raincoat might not be reusable, but it’s a much cheaper alternative than buying a fancy dog raincoat. With some scissors and tape, you can make a waterproof layer to keep your dog dry during bad weather.
19. DIY Diva Doggie Tutu – Blacksburg Belle
If your dog loves to dance, a doggie tutu is the perfect DIY project to start. It only requires a little sewing and a whole lot of tulle, the stuff that tutus are made of. This tutu pattern is easy to follow and fun to make.
20. DIY Dog Sweatshirt – Pawculture
If you have an old hoodie that you’re planning on throwing out, repurpose it into a stylish dog sweatshirt instead. With basic hand sewing or a machine and some thread, this DIY pattern will transform your old hoodie into a cozy dog sweater.
Featured Image: Karsten Winegeart, Unsplash
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.
- 1. No-Sew 5 Min. Dog Sweater – The Thrifty Couple
- 2. No-Sew Dog Bandana – Pretty Fluffy
- 3. Easy Dog Sweater with Sleeves – Mimi & Tara
- 4. Cozy Custom Dog Coat – Wholefully
- 5. Dog Coat from Recycled Winter Jacket – Makezine
- 6. How to Make Dog Pants – Cuteness
- 7. No-Sew Shark Dog Costume – Busy Mom’s Helper
- 8. No-Sew Sweater for Small Dogs and Puppies – SewDelish
- 9. DIY Dog Coat – Ricochet & Away
- 10. Chic Dog Sweater – DIY Projects
- 11. Canine Carhartt Coat – Instructables
- 12. Easy Knit Dog Sweater
- 13. Puppy Pajamas Tutorial – Wildflowers + Whimsy
- 14. Crochet Basic Dog Sweater – Maria’s Blue Crayon
- 15. Money-Saving No-Sew DIY Dog Shirt – Bark and Biscuits
- 16. DIY Pineapple Dog Costume – Brit + Co
- 17. Well Dressed Dog Coat – Moogly
- 18. Trash Bag Raincoat – Instructables
- 19. DIY Diva Doggie Tutu – Blacksburg Belle
- 20. DIY Dog Sweatshirt – Pawculture