If you are the proud owner of a Miniature Schnauzer, you know how this small but robust pooch has it all. They are intelligent, affectionate, playful, and brave. They make great family companions, have cute antics in spades, and have the loyalty of 100 dogs all wrapped up into one. They are truly a great breed to have in your family.
So, what is the best way to show your love? By feeding them a delicious and nutritious meal that they will not only love but benefit from. Of course, that is easier said than done. With so many different pet food brands on the market, how can you tell which one is going to have all the good stuff your little ankle-biter needs?
Well, we are here to help! We have found the seven best dog foods for Miniature Schnauzers available. We have shared their benefits, formulas, ingredients, and much more. We have even provided a buyer’s guide to give you some extra tips on how to pick out the right formula for your pet.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
|Best Overall||Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult||
|Best Value||American Journey Active Life||
|Best for Puppies||Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Puppy||
|Diamond Naturals Adult||
|Hill's Science Diet Puppy Small Paws||
The 7 Best Dog Foods for Schnauzers – Reviews 2020
1. Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Dry Dog Food – Best Overall
Our first pick is the Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Dry Dog Food. This formula is specifically designed with your purebred Schnauzer in mind. This meal comes in either a 2.5 or 10-pound bag and is meant for dogs at least 10 months or older.
Royal Canin is packed with all the essential vitamins and minerals your dog needs. It has amino acids to help keep their skin and coat shiny and healthy, plus the recipe is developed to keep your pet from gaining weight. There are beneficial levels of lean protein and fat to keep your pet energized, and fiber for proper digestive function, as well.
You will also find the kibble in this formula is easy for them to pick up, and it promotes chewing. This can help if your pet likes to wolf down their meals without a breath. You will find the food is easy to digest, too. Overall, this dog chow has all the stuff your pooch needs to be healthy and strong, and it is our favorite pick for a Miniature Schnauzer.
2. American Journey Active Life Dry Dog Food – Best Value
We understand that cost can play a role in your dog food decisions. For those on a budget, we recommend the American Journey Active Life Dry Dog Food. This is a chicken, brown rice, and veggie formula that comes in a 4, 14, or 28-pound bag. It is made to be a balanced diet with real protein as the first ingredient to keep your pup active, fit, and lean.
This recipe is rich in nutrients and antioxidants to help with your pet’s immune system. You will also find natural fiber and whole grains for a healthy gut and digestive system. What you will not find is wheat, soy, or artificial ingredients such as flavors, colors, or ingredients.
The American Journey has plenty of vitamins and minerals for your Schnauzer’s overall well-being. What you should be careful of, however, is the kibble which is harder than our top pick. This can make it more difficult to chew for some pets. Other than that, your dog’s skin and coat will thrive with omega 3 and 6, plus dogs love the tasty flavor. In general, this is the best dog food for Miniature Schnauzers for the money.
3. Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Dry Dog Food – Best for Puppies
If you have a puppy Schnauzer on your hands, you want to start them out early in life with a well-balanced diet. The Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Dry Dog Food is a great place to start. Like our first choice, this recipe is specially designed for this purebred pup and has all the vitamins and minerals they need to grow big and strong.
Available in a 2.5-pound bag, this food is developed for puppies between eight weeks and ten months old. It has natural fibers to support their digestive health, L-carnitine and reduced fat content for a healthy weight, and prebiotics for a strong immune system. They also provide healthy amounts of antioxidants, protein, and fat to fight free radicals and keep your puppy active.
The Royal Canin puppy food has no artificial flavors, although it does have easy to chew kibble. This formula also has chicken by-product meal and fructooligosaccharides (FOS), unfortunately. Other than that, this is a recipe with many benefits for your growing pet. The only other thing to consider is that this is a more costly option than our first two choices.
4. Diamond Naturals Adult Dry Dog Food
The Diamond Naturals Adult Dry Dog Food comes in a lamb and rice formula that is packed full of superfoods and probiotics to support your mini Schnauzer’s overall development. You can pick this food up in either a 6, 20, or 40-pound bag, and it is made with all-natural ingredients. This is also a pup chow that boasts a holistic recipe to keep your pet healthy.
Diamond Naturals is a great source of protein and minerals. It also provides your pet with omega fatty acids for their skin and coat. What’s more, you will find antioxidants for their immune system and overall health. On the other hand, this recipe has a high amount of white rice which is not as healthy for your pooch.
Other than that, this meal is easy to digest. There is no corn, wheat, filler, or artificial ingredients. It is also made in the USA. You will find many nutritional benefits, but keep in mind, the recipe is high in salt. This can be a drawback for your pet, plus it has a lot of sugar, as well. To end on a bright note, however, it is made with easy to chew kibble.
5. Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Dry Dog Food
If you need a more affordable puppy food, the Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Dry Dog Food is a possibility you should know about. It is a great option for small and toy breeds, as well. This formula is manufactured in the USA and contains natural DHA from fish oil for brain and eye development. It also has antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to support your growing pet’s overall well-being.
This puppy chow comes in either a 4.5 or 15.5-pound bag of food. The recipe is made with all-natural ingredients with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Unfortunately, it does contain a fair amount of corn gluten which is used as a filler. What’s more, it is a harder to digest formula for many pups.
Hill’s Science Diet is a good source of fat and protein. There are also healthy grains, including wheat, in the chow. What you should note, however, is that this formula contains soy. As soy has a lot of salt, it is not the best ingredient for your puppy. Other than that, this is a solid possibility for your growing Schnauzer.
6. Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
In the number six spot, we have Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This is a great option for any pups with sensitivity to grains. This is a formula that is designed specifically for small breeds, and it comes in a chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin flavor. You can also pick this food up in a 4 or 12-pound bag.
The Nature’s Recipe dog food features easy to digest carbohydrates for a healthy digestive tract. It uses high-quality chicken protein as its first ingredient, plus there is no corn, wheat, or artificial flavors or colors in this food. You should note, however, that there is a high amount of pea starch which is used as a filler. There is a large quantity of salt, as well.
Be that as it may, you will find benefits such as antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in the recipe. Unfortunately, many Schnauzer’s don’t find the recipe as tasty as some others. Lastly, the kibble is on the hard side, and it can be difficult for them to chew.
7. Eukanuba Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
Our final pick for your Miniature Schnauzer is the Eukanuba Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food. This is a formula designed for small and toy breeds up to 23 pounds. It comes in a chicken flavor and is available in a 5, 15, or 28-pound bag. This recipe has good levels of protein, fat, DHA, and vitamin E for healthy brain development and skin.
This food is made with glucosamine for hip and joint support, as well. It’s part of a balanced diet, and it contains 3D dental defense to help with tartar build-up. Unfortunately, the Eukanuba is hard to digest for most Schnauzers. It also contains by-product meals.
This recipe contains artificial ingredients, as well as, FOC. Not only that, but the kibble tends to be hard, and it goes stale quickly. To give some credit, you will find prebiotics and other vitamins and minerals in the recipe. Overall, however, this is our least favorite option for your miniature Schnauzer.
Finding the right food for your Miniature Schnauzer is not always easy. There are so many brands, recipes, formulas, and ingredients, it can be hard to tell what your pet needs, and what you should be trying to avoid. To shed some additional light on the equation, we have added some tips below that will help you narrow down the search to the right one.
When it comes to any dog food, one of the most confusing aspects is trying to decipher the ingredients. Below, we have listed the most beneficial ingredients and recipes you should be on the lookout for when looking for a healthy chow for your Mini Schnauzer.
- Protein: Protein is one of the most important ingredients in your Schnauzer’s dog food. Look for recipes that have one “real source” like real chicken or beef. Canines can also benefit from meat “meals” as they contain concentrated amounts of the vitamins and minerals they need to be healthy. What you want to stay away from are by-product meals which are more or less the inedible parts (even for dogs) of an animal.
- Fiber and Probiotics: Fiber and probiotics are aspects of your pet’s nutrition that will aid their digestive tract and gut health. They are both important for keeping everything moving smoothly in the right direction. Prebiotics are also healthy for your Schnauzer.
- Antioxidants: This ingredient is great for your canine’s immune support, brain function, and eye health. Make sure that your preferred recipe has a good amount of this beneficial nutrient.
- Omegas Fatty Acids: This is where their skin and coat come into play. Omegas, like fish oil, will help keep your pet’s skin healthy and their coat shiny and strong.
- All-Natural Ingredients: If possible, go with an all-natural formula. This will eliminate artificial ingredients such as flavors and colors that are not good for your pet. Just keep in mind, there are no regulations on the word “natural” or “holistic” so be sure to read your ingredient label carefully.
- Fillers: Fillers are notorious in dog foods. They allow brands to make their recipes more cost-efficiently. Although most foods will have them, you want to stay away from formulas that have them closer to the top of the ingredient list (meaning they are more concentrated in the formula). Some fillers to watch out for are pea fiber and corn gluten.
There are many other ingredients in dog food, but these are the most important ingredients and aspects of your Miniature Schnauzers chow you should be aware of when out shopping.
We hope the reviews above have helped you find the right food for your Miniature Schnauzer. Nutrition is important for all canines, but ensuring your little firecracker is getting the vitamins, minerals, and healthy ingredients they need is essential for their overall well-being.
In our opinion, the Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Dry Dog Food is the best you can get. This is a formula designed specifically for your purebred pup and contains all the nutrients they will need. If you need something more affordable, however, we would recommend the American Journey Active Life Dry Dog Food. This is a wholesome alternative to our first pick with a slightly lower price tag.
Featured Image Credit: Pikrepo
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- The 7 Best Dog Foods for Schnauzers – Reviews 2020
- 1. Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Dry Dog Food – Best Overall
- 2. American Journey Active Life Dry Dog Food – Best Value
- 3. Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Dry Dog Food – Best for Puppies
- 4. Diamond Naturals Adult Dry Dog Food
- 5. Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Dry Dog Food
- 6. Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 7. Eukanuba Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
- Buyer’s Guide