If you want to whip up a grain-free dog treat, you have two options: substitute an alternative flour or make a naturally gluten-free treat. We have both types of recipes on this list, so you can do either — or both!
The most common grain-free flours include coconut flour, chickpea flour, and oat flour. These flours, which work essentially the way regular flour works, don’t contain gluten and therefore won’t upset your pup’s sensitive stomach.
Prefer not to use flour at all? No problem. We recommend frozen dog treats, dried vegetable chews, and jerky!
Ready to get started? Scroll down to find your dog’s new favorite treat recipe:
10 Delicious Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipes:
1. Salmon Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipe
We start the list with a simple grain-free dog treat recipe that uses wild-caught salmon, gluten-free coconut flour, pumpkin puree, and eggs. Trust us: you won’t miss the grains!
2. Frozen Pumpkin Dog Treats
Are your dogs in the mood for a pup-sicle? Of course they are! This incredibly easy recipe combines yogurt, pureed pumpkin, and cinnamon to make a tasty frozen treat.
3. Dried Sweet Potato Dog Treats
This simple recipe will provide endless entertainment (not to mention nutritional value) to your furry friends. Slice up a sweet potato or yam, throw it in the oven, and you’ll have chewy dried treats before you know it!
4. Chicken Jerky Dog Treat
Jerky is naturally grain-free and particularly delicious for your dog. This recipe uses a dehydrator, but if you don’t have one, you can try your oven.
5. Hemp Seed Dog Biscuit Recipe
This dog biscuit recipe uses oat flour (which is naturally gluten-free), plus hemp seeds, apple sauce, and coconut oil. Mix the ingredients, bake for 30 minutes, and your dog will have a new favorite treat!
6. Chickpea Flour Grain-Free Dog Treats
As you can probably tell from the name, this recipe calls for high-protein chickpea flour, made from the legume. No grains in sight, but the biscuits still turn out perfectly crunchy!
7. 5-Ingredient Grain-Free Dog Biscuits
Here’s another easy, delicious, and healthy dog treat recipe. You can also take this recipe over the top by adding ingredients like parsley and shredded carrots!
8. Dog-Friendly Jelly Treats
Would your dog enjoy a treat that jiggles? Make a gelatin treat! This recipe from Modern Dog Magazine offers four flavors, including a low-calorie option for dieting dogs.
9. Pumpkin Rice Dog Treats
In this recipe, you’ll find yet another grain-free flour: rice flour! These pumpkin and sweet potato dog snacks, which are lightly sweetened with maple syrup, look good enough for you to eat!
10. Coconut & Blueberry Frozen Treats
These interesting-looking dog treats are made with coconut oil and antioxidant-filled blueberries. If you have a fun silicone mold, you can make them adorable shapes like these!
We hope this list of the 10 best grain-free dog treat recipes has helped you start cooking for your pup! Even if your dogs have food sensitivities, they can still enjoy tasty treats — especially if you make them yourself. Whether you choose a baked, frozen, or gelatinous grain-free recipe, we can guarantee that your dog will come back for more!
Looking for more dog-friendly recipes?
- 10 Homemade Dog Treat Recipes (Vet-Approved)
- Our favorite homemade dog food recipes (with pictures)
- The Best Chicken Dog Food Recipes
- 10 Delicious Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipes:
- 1. Salmon Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipe
- 2. Frozen Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 3. Dried Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- 4. Chicken Jerky Dog Treat
- 5. Hemp Seed Dog Biscuit Recipe
- 6. Chickpea Flour Grain-Free Dog Treats
- 7. 5-Ingredient Grain-Free Dog Biscuits
- 8. Dog-Friendly Jelly Treats
- 9. Pumpkin Rice Dog Treats
- 10. Coconut & Blueberry Frozen Treats