Don’t let their regal name fool you. The Glen of Imaal Terrier have just as much personality and spirit as the rest of the terrier family.
This breed was initially bred in the 16th century to hunt vermin, such as the fox, in the Irish area of the Glen of Imaal, which also happens to be their namesake.
It is most commonly believed that the Glen of Imaal Terrier originated through the breeding of British soldiers’ dogs with the more traditional Irish breed of terrier.
A boisterous and fun companion to have, known for their courage and high energy, the Glen Imaal Terrier would make an excellent addition to a family of almost any kind.
While there is still a common misconception about the needs of smaller dogs, it is important to note that they need just as much exercise, often more, as dogs 3 or 4 times their size!
The Glen Imaal Terrier is no exception, as they have plenty of abundant energy to burn and would enjoy plenty of play-time with an equally suitable high energy family.
To ensure the happiness of you and your newest edition to the family, we’ve put together this guide to aid your search for the perfect pooch.
Throughout this manual, I will discuss all the necessary information on the Glen Of Imaal Terrier, including its life expectancy, costs, behavioral traits, size and more.
After you are done reading this guide, you will be fully prepared to become a Glen Of Imaal Terrier Owner.
Are you still interested in this breed? Well scroll on down, and continue reading to find out more about the Glen Of Imaal Terrier.
Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies – Before You Buy…
There’s a slew of things you need to consider before buying your first dog.
There are things you need to prepare for before you bring it into your home, and it can be quite stressful trying to organize accommodation for your future canine.
However, with persistence and patience, you will be able to make your home a humble abode for your future dog.
Things you will need to do include:
- Designate an area for your dog to sleep. The Glen Of Imaal Terrier isn’t too fussy when it comes to the size of your household, and will happily live in an apartment.
- Make times for either you or a family member to socialize with the Glen Of Imaal Terrier. Dogs need socialization to properly assimilate into a domesticated world. Either you are going to have to provide this, or one of your family members are going to have to.
- Your preferred shade of coat.
- Your preferred gender.
- Your final decision on spaying/neutering.
What Price are Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies?
Budget is a huge part of buying your first dog and can determine what type of dog you get. These creatures are quite costly and are going to put some strain on your bank account.
So it is important to choose your style, size, and breed wisely.
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier is a moderately affordable dog. While it is not the most cost-effective in the world, it does suit the budget of most aspiring dog owners.
When purchasing from a breeder, you’re looking at a price range of $400-$700 for a puppy. The more expensive the Glen Of Imaal Terrier is, the more suited it is for show purposes.
Where to Find Reputable Glen Of Imaal Terrier Breeders?
Finding a reputable breeder can be one of the hardest parts of purchasing a puppy. Luckily, the Glen Of Imaal is somewhat common, like most other Terriers.
There are thousands of breeders out there, and a lot of them will claim to specialize in this breed, so you need to be careful.
To make it easier, there are some things you can make judgments on when assessing the establishment, and character of a breeder.
Before visiting anywhere, try asking around your neighborhood for recommendations.
A good breeder will:
- Supply a spacious, hygienic area for the dogs to live until they are purchased.
- Keep the dogs fed, trimmed and cleaned.
- Kickstart the socialization process by showing love and compassion to every puppy.
- Demonstrate a rich amount of knowledge on the Glen Of Imaal Terrier, as well as experience with breeding them in the past.
- Help and assist you with any information you need.
3 Little-Known Facts About Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies
- The first litter of Glen Of Imaal puppies in the United States was said to have occurred in 1960.
- The Glen Of Imaal Terrier is said to be a low shedder.
- Its undercoat needs to be plucked two times a year.
Physical Traits of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier has a medium length double coat that is incredibly harsh in texture. It can range colors of black, white, blue, red, grey and silver.
It has eyes that are brown and are full of expression, and ears that gently fold over. Its tail is small and docked, and its legs are of medium length.
How Big is a Full-Grown Glen Of Imaal Terrier?
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier is a small, compact dog that loves to run around. You can tell by how much it weighs and how long it is that it likes to play around.
Regarding its length, the Glen Of Imaal Terrier tends to grow to 12-14 inches, making it slightly bigger than most toy breeds, but still adorable in its own right.
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier usually grows no bigger than 40 pounds, with 20-25 pounds being the usual size.
Most of the time, the male and female are the same sizes, but it depends on the diet at the end of the day.
What is the Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s Life Expectancy?
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier tends to have a pretty average lifespan for dogs of its size. It is said to live up to 14 years old, with a minimum of 10.
This means that if you pay attention to its health and raise it properly, that you are at least going to get a great decade out of this dog.
When it does come to life expectancy, health is a major factor that most average numbers don’t take into play.
It is hard to estimate what illnesses your dog may inherit, so it is your job to pay attention to this and schedule regular trips to the vet.
Intelligence, Temperament, and Personality Traits of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier is a fun, intelligent and bright dog that loves to play. However, it should never be left to its own devices for too long, as it becomes restless.
It will start digging in the backyard, breaking trinkets and excessively barking.
The Glen Of Imaal makes a great watchdog because of its protective traits. It tends to not do well with smaller pets and should be supervised with them at all times due to its hunting instincts.
The Glen Of Imaal is very tolerant of kids but doesn’t react well to rough play. It is a dog that loves to have a task in front of it, to stimulate its brain.
It is easy to socialize and train, as it loves a challenge and having a task in front of it.
The Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s Diet
The Glen Of Imaal will eat 2.5 cups of food a day, which is quite a lot for a dog of its size. It has a large appetite and is always craving another cup of food.
However, it is important to be firm and not overfeed it, as it is prone to gaining weight easily.
Foods that the Glen Of Imaal will enjoy include beef, pork, and various dry dog foods. It’s important to implement fruits and kibble as snacks, as these will provide extra nutrition.
The regime of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier will cost an owner roughly $50 a month.
How Much Exercise Does the Glen Of Imaal Terrier Need?
The Glen of Imaal Terrier needs about 60 minutes of physical activity a day, and around 11 miles of walking per week. This is a moderate amount of exercise for a dog of its size.
Most of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s exercise needs can be met with walks, hikes, jogs and various other outdoor games such as frisbee and fetch.
Glen Of Imaal Terrier Health and Conditions
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy
- Hip Dysplasia
- Skin Defects
My Final Thoughts on the Glen Of Imaal Terrier
Overall, the Glen Of Imaal Terrier is a cute little companion dog that will settle into your family without too much hassle.
If you can make the time to spend with the Glen Of Imaal Terrier and can provide it with lots of love, it will make the perfect friend for any day.
Last Updated on:
- Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies – Before You Buy…
- What Price are Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies?
- Where to Find Reputable Glen Of Imaal Terrier Breeders?
- 3 Little-Known Facts About Glen Of Imaal Terrier Puppies
- Physical Traits of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier
- How Big is a Full-Grown Glen Of Imaal Terrier?
- What is the Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s Life Expectancy?
- Intelligence, Temperament, and Personality Traits of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier
- The Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s Diet
- How Much Exercise Does the Glen Of Imaal Terrier Need?
- Glen Of Imaal Terrier Health and Conditions
- My Final Thoughts on the Glen Of Imaal Terrier