If you have more than one dog, then you know that a good portion of your floor space tends to be dedicated to their beds. If you’re tired of tripping and tip-toeing around a maze of dog beds, you may want to consider stacking them up as bunk beds.
Purchasing a dog bunk bed can be expensive. Why spend so much when you can customize and build your own dog bed? With basic woodworking knowledge and a plan, you can have a functional and attractive dog bunk bed on a budget.
We’ve piled up five free dog bunk bed plans and provided you with a list of tools and supplies that you’ll need to complete each project. These easy-to-DIY plans will help you to free up floor space and give your dogs a comfortable place to rest.
1. DIY Dog Bunk Beds From Instructables Living
With detailed tools and supplies lists, thorough directions, and helpful illustrations, you’ll be able to easily follow the building plans from Instructables Living. The finished bunk beds have a solid rectangular structure and an attractive look. With a pair of pillow-style dog beds, your dogs will have a comfortable place to rest.
2. A DIY Pet Bed Tutorial: Love Bunks by Charleston Crafted
Charleston Crafted offers both an instructional video of the dog bunk bed plans and written plans accompanied by pictures. The result is a simple, sturdy dog bunk bed that’s relatively easy to construct, along with handmade no-sew cushions. It evens works, as in this case, to provide sleeping areas for a dog and a cat.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL BATTERY PACK: 20V 1.5Ah Lithium-ion battery pack with USB output compatible for...
- 15+1 POSITION CLUTCH: 15+1 torque settings provide precise control for driving in/out screws to...
3. Give Your Pets Their Own “Personal Space” by Building a Dog Bunk Bed! by The Owner Builder Network
The Owner Builder Network provides plenty of inspiration by sharing several dog bunk bed styles. If you scroll down, you’ll find an instructional video that shows the process of how to DIY a dog bunk bed that includes stairs. The upper level is more like a loft, and the lower level provides a larger area to place a dog bed.
- Nailed It: This 21 degree pneumatic framing nailer features a lightweight and durable magnesium...
- Versatile and Powerful: The framing nailer features depth adjustment and a no mar tip, making it...
4. Making Cat or Dog Bunk Beds by Rag ‘N’ Bone Brown
Despite the bunk bed picture featuring a cat, this bunk bed design by Rag ‘N’ Bone Brown can easily accommodate small to medium dogs. Be sure to scroll down to the video for a more detailed demonstration of how to make this project.
5. Dog Bunk Bed by Shade Tree Woodworker
This how-to video by Shade Tree Woodworker demonstrates the process for making an attractive loft-style bunk bed with accompanying stairs. All you’ll need to add is two purchased rectangular pillow-style dog beds.
- PORTABILITY: Compact size for ease of transportation and storage
- EASY ADJUSTMENTS: Rack and pinion telescoping fence rails make fence adjustments fast, smooth and...
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.
- 1. DIY Dog Bunk Beds From Instructables Living
- 2. A DIY Pet Bed Tutorial: Love Bunks by Charleston Crafted
- 3. Give Your Pets Their Own “Personal Space” by Building a Dog Bunk Bed! by The Owner Builder Network
- 4. Making Cat or Dog Bunk Beds by Rag ‘N’ Bone Brown
- 5. Dog Bunk Bed by Shade Tree Woodworker