Your four-legged friend is lucky enough to have a built-in coat of their very own, but that doesn’t mean they never get cold! Taking the time to create a DIY dog sweater is a great way to bond with your pup and ensure that they stay warm in all types of weather.
Don’t let the thought of sitting down to craft a dog sweater from scratch scare you. There’s a pattern or tutorial out there for all skill levels, so you can find one perfectly suited to your experience and what you already have on hand.
Ready to get crafty? Below are 20 dog sweaters you can make today.
1. Knitted Harry Potter Dog Sweater, From Handy Little Me
Whether you consider yourself a Potterhead or just a casual fan, this Handy Little Me knitted dog sweater pattern makes an excellent DIY project for any four-legged friend. While this sweater is inspired by Ron and Harry’s monogrammed Christmas sweaters — hence the Gryffindor colors — you can customize this sweater to reflect your pup’s own Hogwarts house!
2. The Juno Jumper, From Alice in Knittingland
Inspired by her own Jack Russell Terrier, Alice in Knittingland’s Juno Jumper from Love Crafts is a great pattern for small dogs in need of a cozy sweater. This is a great project for knitters who have some experience under their belts but want to tackle something a little more challenging than a scarf or potholder.
3. No-Sew Upcycled Dog Sweater, From The Thrifty Couple
Fortunately, knowing how to knit, crochet, or sew isn’t a requirement when it comes to creating a DIY dog sweater of your very own. This no-sew sweater from The Thrifty Couple is a quick and easy way to transform an old piece of clothing into something new and fabulous for your pooch!
4. Easy DIY Dog Coat, From Ricochet & Away!
Many dogs handle the winter weather just fine while indoors, but what about when outside on a walk or just to go potty? Ricochet & Away! has easy-to-follow instructions for making a winter coat that will keep your dog warm during the coldest months. You can even buff up the weather-protection offered by this jacket with waterproof fabric.
5. Cute Bumble Bee Dog Sweater, From Crochet Guru
Who says dog sweaters can’t be functional and fashionable? This Crochet Guru sweater pattern will have your dog looking like an adorable bumble bee while staying warm and cozy during the winter months.
6. Fancy Dog Sweater Vest, From Herstoria
Herstoria has put together a tutorial for sewing a personalized sweater vest for your four-legged companion. You can even add a bow or other accessory to personalize your dog’s new sweater to their own style. This is a great project for beginners with little sewing experience.
7. DIY Flannel Dog Sweater, From Sew DoggyStyle
Do you have an old flannel shirt lying around that’s just begging to be repurposed? This DIY tutorial from Sew DoggyStyle shows how to turn an old flannel button-down into an ultra-fashionable puppy sweater.
8. Knitted Turtle Shell Dog Sweater, From Lion Brand
Lion Brand knows a thing or two about designing adorable dog sweaters — just take a look at this turtle-inspired pattern. With this comfy sweater, your dog will be ready for dress-up at a moment’s notice. Plus, everyone will be asking where you bought this one-of-a-kind creation!
9. Crocheted Ruffle Dog Sweater, From Cattieluver Crafts
If you’re on the hunt for an adorable, girly sweater for your pooch, then prepare to get our your crochet hook. Cattieluver Crafts designed this simple crocheted sweater — complete with a ruffled skirt — for dogs who prefer a more feminine touch.
10. Simple Bone Dog Sweater, From Mimi & Tara
Mimi & Tara offers a straightforward tutorial for dog owners interested in sewing a sweater from scratch. You can keep it basic, add bone appliques for style, or even sew an attached hood. The possibilities are practically endless.
11. Custom-Tailored Dog Sweater, From Sew What Alicia
Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. If you’re having trouble finding dog attire that fits your pup, Sew What Alicia has put together detailed instructions for drafting and sewing your own dog sweater from scratch.
Berroco offers a free pattern for knitting your dog a dapper, button-down sweater. This sweater will fit dogs with a back measurement of around 16 inches, but experienced knitters can adjust the pattern to fit their pooch.
13. Striped Crocheted Dog Sweater, From Yarnspirations
This Yarnspirations pattern is great for intermediate crocheters interested in crafting a DIY dog sweater. It even offers pre-made sizing adjustments to fit a variety of dog breeds.
14. Hooded Octopus Dog Sweater, From Lion Brand
Lion Brand is at it again with a fun and unique dog sweater! This hooded octopus pattern is great for Halloween, photo ops, or just for the fun of it. Unaltered, this pattern will fit most small and medium dogs.
15. Comfy Hoodie Dog Sweater, From Paw Culture
Everyone loves lounging about in an oversized hoodie, which is why Paw Culture designed this comfy dog sweater. With this tutorial, you can easily transform an old hooded sweatshirt into a new piece of clothing for your pooch.
16. Heavy-Duty Outdoor Dog Sweater, From Sew Can She
Not all occasions call for a soft, knitted dog sweater. Sew Can She offers instructions for a custom-tailored pattern that will create a durable, weather-resistant sweater for those times when your dog is outside during the winter months.
17. Ugly Christmas Dog Sweater, From Sew DoggyStyle
Sew DoggyStyle is back with another fashionable dog sweater that’s perfect for the Christmas season. This ugly holiday sweater is surprisingly easy to make — it also makes great “wrapping paper” for any dog being given as a gift.
18. Knitted Dog Sweater for Beginners, From Saga
Learning to knit is a great way to boost your DIY abilities. With this basic knitting pattern from Saga, you can create a warm and stylish sweater for your dog — minimal experience required. While this pattern is designed for a Welsh Terrier, it can be adjusted to fit almost any dog.
19. Canine Carhartt Dog Sweater, From Instructables
Carhartt is known as one of the most durable outerwear brands in the United States. With this guide from Instructables, you can take an old Carhartt jacket and turn it into a heavy-duty sweater for your dog. Now, you and Fido can match wherever you go!
20. Easy Recycled Dog Sweater, From Resweater
If you have multiple old sweatshirts no longer being worn, Resweater offers an easy-to-follow tutorial for making custom-sized dog sweaters. This pattern can give your old clothes a new lease on life in the form of a fashion-forward and cozy sweater sure to make all the neighborhood dogs jealous.
Creating your own DIY dog sweater offers a chance to design something that you know you (and your dog) will love. Many of the sweaters mentioned above can be custom-tailored to fit almost any breed.
So, why not take the opportunity to flex your knitting, crocheting, or sewing skills? Or upcycle old clothes taking up valuable space in your closet?
Of course, you don’t have to settle on just one of these designs. You can make as many as you like — maybe you’ll even make all 20!
Which of these DIY dog sweaters is your favorite? Have you made any of these designs for your own pup?
If you still can’t decide, take a peek at our collection of 25 Stylish DIY Dog Coat Ideas You Can Make Today.
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.
- 1. Knitted Harry Potter Dog Sweater, From Handy Little Me
- 2. The Juno Jumper, From Alice in Knittingland
- 3. No-Sew Upcycled Dog Sweater, From The Thrifty Couple
- 4. Easy DIY Dog Coat, From Ricochet & Away!
- 5. Cute Bumble Bee Dog Sweater, From Crochet Guru
- 6. Fancy Dog Sweater Vest, From Herstoria
- 7. DIY Flannel Dog Sweater, From Sew DoggyStyle
- 8. Knitted Turtle Shell Dog Sweater, From Lion Brand
- 9. Crocheted Ruffle Dog Sweater, From Cattieluver Crafts
- 10. Simple Bone Dog Sweater, From Mimi & Tara
- 11. Custom-Tailored Dog Sweater, From Sew What Alicia
- 12. Button-Down Cardigan Dog Sweater, From Berroco
- 13. Striped Crocheted Dog Sweater, From Yarnspirations
- 14. Hooded Octopus Dog Sweater, From Lion Brand
- 15. Comfy Hoodie Dog Sweater, From Paw Culture
- 16. Heavy-Duty Outdoor Dog Sweater, From Sew Can She
- 17. Ugly Christmas Dog Sweater, From Sew DoggyStyle
- 18. Knitted Dog Sweater for Beginners, From Saga
- 19. Canine Carhartt Dog Sweater, From Instructables
- 20. Easy Recycled Dog Sweater, From Resweater