There are times when you need to keep your dog or new puppy contained or out of certain rooms. Perhaps you have an older dog who really shouldn’t be using the stairs. When you need a barrier, a dog gate is the solution. You could spend money buying one, or even better, you can make your own.
We’ve found 15 free and easy-to-build DIY dog gate plans that you can make yourself. There are a variety of plans, from wood to fabric and PVC pipes, so you’re sure to find one that matches your DIY skill level. We’ve also included a list of the tools and supplies you’ll need.
1. PVC Dog Gate, by Sew Many Ways
Our first set of plans from Sew Many Ways is low cost and ideal if you need to keep your dog off the stairs. It’s constructed with PVC pipes and fabric, with some sewing required. This gate works best if you have stairs with spindles to hold it upright.
Difficulty level: Easy/Moderate – requires sewing ability
2. DIY Dog Gate, by Saws on Skates
If you have experience with woodworking, then you’ll be able to construct this sturdy and attractive dog gate from Saws on Skates. This dog gate stands on its own using a hinge in the middle. Keep in mind that if your dog is serious about entering the blocked room, this gate can be knocked over.
Difficulty level: Expert – woodworking skills
3. Baby and Pet Gate, by The DIY Hubs
This gate designed by The DIY Hubs offers a solution if you also own a cat. This dog gate works well to block dogs, as well as young children while allowing your cat to slip through a small opening at the bottom. Genius!
Difficulty level: Expert – woodworking skills required
4. How to Build a Dog Gate, by This Old House
For a sold-wood gate that you can construct, check out the detailed plans from This Old House. If you have basic woodworking understanding, you’ll be able to follow the step-by-step instructions, which come with helpful pictures.
Difficulty level: Moderate/Expert – woodworking experience necessary
5. DIY Modern Baby Gate or Pet Gate, by Crafted Workshop
This gate designed by Crafted Workshop can affix to the top of your stairs or to a doorway in order to block both your dog and a small child. Best of all, you can conveniently open and close this gate as you would a door. Two hinges allow it swing open, while a latch holds it closed.
Difficulty level: Moderate/Expert – woodworking knowledge essential
6. DIY Pet Gate/Baby Gate, by Jennifer Maker
This freestanding, extra-wide and -tall pet and baby gate by Jennifer Maker is an excellent design for rooms with wide openings that need to be blocked. Made out of a large plastic lattice panel, you can see through this gate. When it’s not in use, you can fold it up. Once you have all the materials, you can easily make this gate in one night.
Difficulty level: Easy/Moderate
7. DIY Cardboard Dog Gate, by …Two and Three Quarters
If you’re not a woodworker nor have any idea how to work a sewing machine but you need a quick fix on a low budget for a dog gate, search no further than these plans from Two and Three Quarters. Believe it or not, you can fashion a rather sturdy and crafty cute dog gate out of a cardboard box. You’re welcome!
Difficulty level: Easy
9. Doggie Gate DIY, by Yellow Brick Home
If you’re looking for an eye-appealing gate to fit in a doorway and you have strong woodworking skills, you may want to try the plans provided by Yellow Brick Home. This gate affixes to your door post, allowing it to swing open or lock closed as needed.
Difficulty level: Expert - woodworking expertise
10. Baby/Pet Gates from Pallet Wood, by Instructibles Workshop
Pallets are a fantastic shortcut for getting the structure of your dog gate in place. This pallet wood dog gate plan from Instructibles Workshop breaks down the steps you’ll need to follow for a solid wood gate.
Difficulty level: Moderate
11. DIY Pet Barrier, From A Creative Life by Debbie Saenz
If you’re handy with fabric and a sewing machine, you can easily stitch together this dog gate designed by Debbie Saenz of A Creative Life blog. With tension rods anchoring the top and bottom, you can adjust this fabric-covered gate to the width of your doorway or room opening.
12. Ten Minute DIY Baby/Pet Gate, From Finding Purpose Blog
If you’re looking for simple, functional building plans, Finding Purpose Blog has a basic design that you can make with minimal materials in a short amount of time. The title claims 10 minutes, but it may take you a bit longer. Either way, you’ll have a doorway gate that blocks your dog and opens with ease.
13. DIY Wooden Barn Door Baby Gate, From REMODELaholic
When you’re installing a gate into your home, you’ll most likely want it to match your home’s overall style. This wooden barn baby or dog gate from REMODELaholic has a warm, rustic look. As long as you have proficient woodworking skills, you can make this dog gate, which is both functional and attractive.
14. DIY Baby Gate With Fabric, From The DIY Playbook
For a soft fabric option as a dog gate, The DIY Playbook offers step-by-step plans to create a colorful barrier. This clever design resembles a quilt stretched across a doorway. The fabric loops make it easy to set up and pull down as needed. Best of all, you don’t need fancy sewing skills to assemble it!
This PVC pipe gate plan from Your Modern Family can span your wide staircase or perhaps a broad opening on a doorway. If you’re good at puzzling pieces together, this project is for you!
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.
- 1. PVC Dog Gate, by Sew Many Ways
- 2. DIY Dog Gate, by Saws on Skates
- 3. Baby and Pet Gate, by The DIY Hubs
- 4. How to Build a Dog Gate, by This Old House
- 5. DIY Modern Baby Gate or Pet Gate, by Crafted Workshop
- 6. DIY Pet Gate/Baby Gate, by Jennifer Maker
- 7. DIY Cardboard Dog Gate, by …Two and Three Quarters
- 8. DIY PVC Pipe Pet Gate, by eHow
- 9. Doggie Gate DIY, by Yellow Brick Home
- 10. Baby/Pet Gates from Pallet Wood, by Instructibles Workshop
- 11. DIY Pet Barrier, From A Creative Life by Debbie Saenz
- 12. Ten Minute DIY Baby/Pet Gate, From Finding Purpose Blog
- 13. DIY Wooden Barn Door Baby Gate, From REMODELaholic
- 14. DIY Baby Gate With Fabric, From The DIY Playbook
- 15. DIY Gate for Bottom of Wide Staircase, by Your Modern Family