If you’ve ever lived in cold or hot climates, you know that walking your dog outside can be painful for your dog. Dog booties were made to solve this problem, with a wide variety of colors and styles to choose from.
However, dog booties and dog apparel, in general, are usually overpriced, so you may be considering other options. Or, your dog hates the expensive booties you bought and refuses to wear them. Regardless of your reason, you may think you’re out of options.
Luckily, there are many DIY dog bootie plans and patterns available that can be quick and easy to make at home. If you need a pair of dog booties and you have some spare materials available, here are 12 Dog Bootie Plans to make:
1. DIY Insulated Dog Booties – Barley Bones
If you require an immediate dog bootie plan, this DIY Insulated Dog Booties pattern is the fastest one on this list. With four balloons and two pairs of baby socks, you’ll have insulated dog booties in minutes. These will keep your dog’s feet warm and dry this winter.
- RESILIENT LATEX Safe for kids, our balloons are made of thick, natural latex that's difficult to...
- VIBRANT VARIETY Elevate your party decorations with 100 balloons in 10 beautiful metallic colors!
2. DIY Duct Tape Booties – Wonderpuppy
For a more durable DIY solution without taking up your entire evening, these DIY Duct Tape Booties are easy to make and hold up pretty well for an at-home solution. Just do yourself a favor and use a cheap pair of scissors instead of your nice fabric ones.
- SEW ON FASTENERS: For easy fabric alterations and hemming, this sew on fabric tape offers an...
- ADJUSTABLE ALTERNATIVE TO CLOSURES: This easy to use pre-cut cloth tape is a perfect substitute for...
3. Dog Booties – Martha Stewart
Martha Stewart has a pattern and recipe for everything, including doggy accessories. These DIY Dog Booties are the perfect dog booties plan to keep your dog’s feet warm and protected from the elements. They’re fairly easy to make but require a sewing machine.
- Lacework wavy edge scissor is ideal for tailor dressmaking pinking; Pinking shears designed for...
- 9.2 Inches Pinking Scissors: hardened, stainless steel blades for lasting sharpness; ergonomical...
4. Crochet Puppy Boots – Cuteness
If you know the basics of crochet, these DIY crochet booties will take you less than an hour to make. They’re perfect for a last-minute dog bootie without requiring a sewing machine. This pattern is also easy to read for crochet beginners.
- Durable and Rustproof: The darning needles are made of durable stainless steel, which is...
- Sizes Meet You Need: 3 x 5.2 cm/2 inch, 3 x 6 cm/ 2.4 inch, 3 x 7 cm / 2.8 inch. Perfect sizes of...
5. Easy DIY Dog Boots – Romp Rescue
If you have a sewing machine and a few minutes, these quick DIY Dog Boots are easy to make and can be fully customized for your dog’s needs. They’re also perfect for when you need a last-minute dog bootie pattern.
- 27 Unique Built-In Stitches: The XM2701 Includes 27 Built-In Stitches Including Decorative, Blind...
- Automatic Needle Threader and Drop-In Top Bobbin: This Sewing Machine Includes an Automatic Needle...
6. Sew Your Own Winter Dog Boots – Domestik Goddess
With basic hand-sewing skills and some extra fleece, you can make these Winter Dog Boots. They’re great for inclement weather and overall paw protection from ice-melting salt on the roads. They’re also easy and relatively quick to make, too.
7. Paw Socks Pattern – ChemKnits
For the more experienced knitter, this knitted Paw Socks pattern is a perfect winter project at home. If you’ve got the knitting skills, these dog socks work up very fast. They may not be suitable for outdoor use, but they’re still useful indoors.
- WORSTED WEIGHT: One single ball of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes worsted weight 100% Peruvian...
- 100% WOOL: Spun from Peruvian wool, the strong fiber has an excellent balance of structure, loft and...
8. DIY Paw Protectors – Crafty Chica
If you know the basic double crochet stitch and the chain stitch, these DIY Paw Protectors will be your new favorite DIY dog bootie plan. They’re easy and fast to make if you already know how to crochet but can be done at a slower pace by a beginner as well.
9. Paw Protectors and Winter Dog Boots – Sewing.org
These Paw Protectors are not only easy to make, but they’re adorable as well. With less than an hour and some fabric, you’ll have winter-ready dog booties in no time. Your dog will be more comfortable when you’re outside in the cold.
10. DIY Dog Shoes – SheKnows
If you’re skilled with a sewing machine and you have some extra materials in your craft room, you’ll always have a dog bootie pattern available with these DIY Dog Shoes. They’re not the easiest ones to make but they’ll last you all winter.
- 1 inch wide Hook and loop Tape Self Adhesive by Strenco great for Fastening light weight items.
- Hook and loop ( complete set ) 5 yards (15 feet) long of each side of Strenco Edge to Edge hook and...
11. Fleece Doggie Booties – Daily Puppy
These easy Fleece Doggie Booties only require a little fabric and basic hand stitching to make a durable DIY dog bootie. These can be made with any fabric, but fleece, nylon, and upholstery fabric are the best options. They’re also relatively quick to make if you’re in a hurry.
12. How to Make Dog Boots – Condo Blues
This dog boot pattern is relatively simple to make if you know how to use a sewing machine but can be difficult if you’re new to sewing and DIY. These dog booties are not only adorable, but they’ll keep your dog’s feet warm and safe from the elements.
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.
- 1. DIY Insulated Dog Booties – Barley Bones
- 2. DIY Duct Tape Booties – Wonderpuppy
- 3. Dog Booties – Martha Stewart
- 4. Crochet Puppy Boots – Cuteness
- 5. Easy DIY Dog Boots – Romp Rescue
- 6. Sew Your Own Winter Dog Boots – Domestik Goddess
- 7. Paw Socks Pattern – ChemKnits
- 8. DIY Paw Protectors – Crafty Chica
- 9. Paw Protectors and Winter Dog Boots – Sewing.org
- 10. DIY Dog Shoes – SheKnows
- 11. Fleece Doggie Booties – Daily Puppy
- 12. How to Make Dog Boots – Condo Blues