Sweet, gorgeous, and intelligent beyond belief, the Cocker Spaniel is one of the most popular breeds in the world. Although they are renowned for their long ears, adorable faces, and exquisite coat, this hunting breed is more than just a cute dog! Keen on hunting, the Cocker Spaniel originally got its name from flushing out birds for its owners. Despite their hunting skills, they are a nonaggressive breed that get along great with other pets and children. Their gentle and easy-going personalities validate their roles as wonderful companions.
So if you’ve adopted a Cocker Spaniel of your very own, you’re probably looking for a name that’s just as multifaceted and special as your pup! Below we have gathered a list of the most popular and even a few unique names for you to consider. The top-rated names for female and males, elegant suggestions, adorable ideas for Cocker Spaniel puppies, mini names, and options based on their coat colors. There is sure to be a charming name perfect for every dog!
- Female Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Male Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Elegant Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Cocker Spaniel Puppy Names
- Mini Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Black Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Red Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Tan Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Multi-Colored Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
- Finding the Right Name for Your Cocker Spaniel
Female Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
Male Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
Elegant Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
Cocker spaniels are pillars of grace and poise in the dog world. Their intelligence makes them easy to train and among some of the most obedient. Any Cocker Spaniel would be perfectly matched with an elegant name that represents their regal personalities.
Cocker Spaniel Puppy Names
Now, your puppy won’t stay little forever but an adorable puppy name is bound to grow with your new addition as they get older. You would be surprised how well each of these suggestions age. After all, your puppy will always be your baby no matter their age.
Mini Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
The same gorgeous breed, only bite-sized! If you are looking for a pup that carries all the same remarkable qualities as a Cocker Spaniel but is a fraction of the size, a mini Cocker Spaniel is for you. A name that’s as tiny as they are might just be the only thing that makes this gracious breed even more adorable.
Black Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
An all-black coat has a stoic heir of mystery and charm. Although these dark beauties are considered all-black by the AKC, they may actually have a slight white patch on their resembling that of a tuxedo.
Red Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
Red Cocker Spaniels are rising in popularity as their direct coat is considered one of the most beautiful and desired. You might even find that some of these pups are in fact crossbreeds that are a result of an even deeper red coat color.
Tan Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
Sun-kissed and sandy – here are our favorite picks for an all tan-colored coat. As we suggested with the black coat, white might poke out a bit around the chest and a few spots on the feet. Overall, any of these bronzed beauties would make for excellent tan Cocker Spaniel makes.
- Earl Grey
Multi-Colored Cocker Spaniel Dog Names
One of the names from this list would be ideal for any bi-colored or tri-colored Cocker Spaniel. The pattern combinations of the above-noted colors are truly endless and make for some of the most gorgeous coats!
Finding the Right Name for Your Cocker Spaniel
Finding the perfect name for your new addition can be tricky as the options are endless! Whether you choose a name inspired by their coat color, youthful yet graceful demeanor, or beauty and elegance, there is bound to be something fitting among our list of Cocker Spaniel names.
If you’re still having a bit of trouble deciding, we have included a few loose guidelines you may wish to follow, sure to help narrow down your search.
- One or two syllable names are easier to say. Really long names are a pain, especially during training, so just keep that in mind if you find one you love. A little “Queen Elizabeth the 3rd” may be the fitting name for your regal pup, but using that as her proper name and calling her Lizzie will probably serve you and her much better.
- Think of the personality your puppy has (or is likely to have). Most dog breeds have specific qualities, so even before your puppy comes home, it is somewhat easy to pick a name. Or, you may choose to have your furry friend at home with you for a few days while you get to know him or her and then pick the name to express their character.
- Pick a name and stick with it. Once you have the name, don’t change your mind. And don’t bring out the nicknames until your puppy feels confident with the official name (you don’t want a confused little furball). Say the name a lot, in all different tones so your puppy learns it quickly.
- See how your pet reacts when you say it out loud. This may be a clear indication that they love or hate a name. If an option provokes an alarming bark, we know that’s not the name for your pup! If you get a curious head tilt or a few puppy kisses, we can bet you have found a winner!
You might be interested in checking out a few other posts too. Here are a few of our most popular:
Feature Image Credit: Eudyptula, Shutterstock