Pumpkin pie is a favorite at Thanksgiving, and some people like to have their pets join in the festivities. But is it a good idea to feed your dog a piece of pumpkin pie? Or what if your dog sneaks into the pie when you aren’t looking — what should you do?
This article goes over why your dog should or shouldn’t eat pumpkin pie. Keeping your dog safe and healthy is a top priority of pet owners, so it is good to know what to expect in certain circumstances. We know that it’s hard not to give your best buddy people food, but as you will see in this article, it’s better to keep your dog healthy and provide appropriate snacks that keep your dog safe.
Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin Pie?
No, dogs should not eat pumpkin pie because it has too much sugar, and the spices in the pie may upset your dog’s stomach. Plain pumpkin is okay for a dog to eat, but once you add sugar and cream with other ingredients, you are creating food that is not ideal for dogs.
First, processed sugar is different from natural sugar. Dogs need sugar, but it should be from whole food sources, such as bananas or blueberries, where they contain nutrients along with the natural sugars from the fruit. If your dog eats refined sugar, it is full of empty calories that can cause weight gain, metabolic changes, and over time, diabetes.
Pumpkin pie spice contains a variety of spices that are okay for dogs in small amounts. However, nutmeg is especially bad for dogs because it contains a compound called Myristicin, which is toxic to dogs if they consume it in high amounts. Fortunately, your dog won’t be exposed to the toxin if eating a slice of pumpkin pie, but the spices could upset their stomach.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Pumpkin Pie
If your dog sneaks a piece of the pie when you aren’t looking, there’s no need to be too alarmed. Your dog may exhibit signs of stomach upset such as vomiting or diarrhea, but it should pass within a few hours. However, if your dog continues to show symptoms and appears to be worsening, you will want to have your veterinarian assess them.
Call your vet with these symptoms:
- Continue to vomit after more than two hours
- Increasing diarrhea
- Crying or whimpering
If your dog were to eat a whole pumpkin pie, you would want to watch them for signs of toxicity, especially if you have a small breed dog like a pug or a dachshund.
Signs of nutmeg toxicity:
- Increased heart rate
Remember that canned pumpkin comes as either pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie filling. These can become mixed up easily, so make sure you are giving your dog the correct pumpkin. If you have concerns about the spices that your dog has ingested from the pumpkin pie, you can always call animal poison control for a consultation and to provide guidance on the best course of action to take.
If it’s hard to eat your pumpkin pie in front of your dog, you can always make them their own special pumpkin pie, such as this one from Pink Cake Plate that uses bananas, applesauce, unsweetened pumpkin, and oat flour.
Avoid giving your dog pumpkin pie during the holidays, even if they are begging you to share with them. Instead, make yummy pumpkin dog treats that don’t include refined sugar and other spices that are too hard on their stomachs and stay away from spices that are known to be toxic.
Plain pumpkin has many health benefits, but pumpkin pie is not a food to give to your dog. If your dog accidentally gets into the pie, watch them carefully for signs of digestive upset or toxicity, depending on how much they ate in relation to the size of your dog.
Featured image credit: CreationsByContessa, Pixabay
Emily started this blog out of pure passion. She LOVES her 3 dogs; Chew Barka, Cooper & Nelson, and spends countless hours every day playing with them.
When she’s not nerding out on dogs, you’ll find her on a snowboard or in the kitchen baking chocolate brownies.
She’s been featured in PetAware, Dogtime, and ModernDog.