If you are the proud owner of a Husky, you know the importance of their daily walk. We certainly do here, as they are one of our favorite breeds.
That being said, when a fuzzy-friend is raring to go, having a strong and secure leash is essential to keeping your pet safe!
Since we have been on the wrong side of thousands of leash choices, we have gone to bat for you and picked out our six favorite leashes that will work for your Husky. In the article below, we will share with you all of the important info you want to know. Things like durability, fit, security, and all the additional features that make a difference to you and your pet.
As a bonus, we have also provided a buyer’s guide that will breakdown all the important aspects you should be looking for when picking out a leash. Plus, we will clue you in on the best way to figure out which length your Husky needs without a full-on wrestling match!
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
|Best Overall||OneTigris Training Bungee Dog Leash||
The 6 Best Leashes for Huskies – Reviews 2021
1. OneTigris Training Bungee Dog Leash – Best Overall
The OneTigris Training Bungee Dog Leash is the best overall leash for your Husky. It is competitively priced, short enough so that you can train control, and the bungee nylon minimizes the impact shock that can occur when a training puppy pulls against the leash extension. The leash measures 33.5 inches, which includes the leash handle, but this expands to 46.5 inches when the bungee extracts. With a standard leash, there is very little or no give when your dog pulls. This can lead to the collar tightening around the dog’s neck and causing discomfort and even injury.
As well as being comfortable for your dog, the OneTigris has a padded handle which will prove invaluable when your Husky is pulling to investigate or to get to passers-by. The bull clip can be operated with one thumb and is made from durable and long-lasting metal. The leash is available in a choice of four colors and is suitable for training or regular use at the dog park or on long hikes and trails.
2. PetSafe LSH – 3 Nylon Dog Leash – Best Value
If you and your Husky are on a budget, the PetSafe LSH-3 Nylon Dog Leash is right for you. This option comes in five sizes and six colors, so you will not have a problem picking out the right fit for your pup. As a traditional leash, it is made of durable nylon that can handle even the most aggressive walkers.
The PetSafe has a secure nickel-plated zinc alloy clip that will not detach from your pet’s collar. That being said, you can use the clip with little force and finger pain. There is also secure stitching throughout the design, as well as, being lightweight.
Besides the black, the other five colors are bright and easy to see during low light. The only drawback to this option we can see is it does not have a padded handle. Otherwise, this is the best leash for Huskies for the money.
If your pup does better with a long training leash, the Leashboss LT-1-B-30 Dog Training Leash is a good option. This model is available in either a 15, 20, 30, or 50-foot option, and they all measure an inch thick. You can also choose between either a black or red color.
Assembled in the USA, the long leash can be used for walks, potty training, and giving your Husky the illusion of freedom. It will not get tangled with the easy coil hook and loop feature, plus it has reinforced stitching to provide security.
The Leashboss has a secure hook that attaches to your pet’s collar. Unfortunately, what this model does not have is reflective material for walks at night. Also, you should note that this leash is more expensive and considered our premium choice.
4. Friends Forever Dog Slip Rope Leash
The Friends Forever PET66-0034 Dog Slip Rope Leash comes in one six-foot size that is ½-inch thick. This is a slip rope style that does not require a collar. You simply pass the end loop over your pet’s head and adjust it to their neck. The only drawback to this style is it can cause choking if your pet likes to pull.
Beyond that, the Friends Forever is made of durable mountain climbing rope, and it features a heavy-duty ring. This will ensure your pet cannot break free. You also have the option of six different colors, all of which have reflective material for nighttime strolls with your Husky.
Weighing 6.4 ounces, this lightweight leash is waterproof- so a swim is not out of the question. Unfortunately, the rope handle can cause chafing on your skin if you have an aggressive pup. Other than that, this is a good option with leather joints for extra stability.
5. BAAPET Strong Dog Leash
Our number five choice is the BAAPET Strong Dog Leash. This is a rope leash that is made of durable climbing material and comes in a small, medium/large one pack, or medium/large two-pack. There are also seven colors to choose from.
The nylon rope is very secure and can handle tough chewing. It is five feet long and ½-inch in diameter. You have a padded handle, as well, to take the pressure off your hand when walking a strong pooch. One thing to note about this leash is it is not recommended for small dogs or puppies, however.
The BAAPET features reflective material for low light, although it has plastic joints that are not as durable as we would like. What’s more, the clip hook comes apart easily, so your pet may have the opportunity to escape. If you use caution, however, this is not the worst leash to pick up.
6. Fashion&cool Dog Leash
Our last option is the Fashion&cool FC01-020-00-09 Dog Leash. This model is part standard leash and part bungee that is not detachable. It is available in one size that stretches to six feet but is only four feet when not extended. It also only comes in black.
The bungee portion of the leash provides shock absorption when your pet suddenly lunges, plus it has a control handle halfway up to be used in high traffic settings. That being said, both the control and standard handle are padded, but only on the inside. The ridged seam can still cause chafing to your skin.
Beyond that, the Fashion&cool leash features an extra D-ring and seat belt buckle. You should note, however, that the carabiner is not secure and is prone to snap off. Also, this leash is not recommended for smaller dogs. Finally, even though it has reflective stitching, it is still not visible in dim light.
Buyer’s Guide – Purchasing the Best Dog Leash for a Husky
Important Notes About A Husky Leash
There are three types of leashes that work well for a Husky. This type of pooch is very high spirited and active. They require a good amount of physical activity, yet if they are not trained properly, they can tend to pull and lunge at will. This can make walking them difficult.
Let’s take a look at the three types of popular Husky Leashes:
- Training Leash: This style of leash is very popular for many reasons. It is typically at least 20 feet long, and it can be used to train your pet to use the bathroom, obey commands, plus it gives them a sense of freedom when the leash is fully extended. You want to be careful, however, as your pooch can easily get tangled in it when it is extended.
- Bungee Combo: Another popular type of leash is the bungee combination. This is a standard leash that has a portion of elastic bungee. If you have a dog that likes to pull or lunge, this is a great option. It lessens the shock on your body, as well as, theirs when they suddenly lunge forward. Many of these types also come with a control handle.
- Standard Leash: The standard option comes in either a flat nylon leash or a braided rope which is also usually nylon. This style is typically better for dogs that have their “walk” down pat. They are not apt to lunge or pull, and they are content to walk by your side.
Although there are other kinds of leashes available, these are the most popular with a Husky in mind.
Picking Out the Right Leash
Besides the style, there are some other factors you should consider when picking out a leash for your Husky. Below, we will share what features you should be on the lookout for while shopping.
- Length: Length is an important consideration. Unless you are dealing with a brand-new puppy, your pet’s leash should be at least six feet long. The exception to this rule is if you are using a control leash or a training leash which is up to 20 feet long. Six feet gives them enough room to move around without being in danger of getting into trouble.
- Padding: A padded handle is important if you enjoy long walks with your furry friend. It also comes in handy if your pet likes to pull. A consistent amount of force on your hand from a nylon rope will cause considerable chafing to your skin. The only exception to this rule is a training leash. In that case, the length does not allow for as much pulling.
- Reflection: If you like to walk with your Husky at night or even at dusk or dawn, reflective stitching is a must-have. This will alert motorists to you and your pup’s presence and cause far fewer accidents.
- Joint Protection: Again, except for training leashes, many dog holders have added material over the joints to make them more secure. For the most part, leather supports are more effective, although some plastic ones can also strengthen the overall structure.
- Carabiner: This is one of the most important parts of a leash. This is where the collar and leash are attached. Many carabiners fail as they are two thin and can snap. On the other hand, some come apart easily if your pet happens to have an itchy back. You want to make sure you can easily use the hook, as well. We recommend finding a fairly thick steel option. The rope climbing model is rarely effective unless they feature a screw-in piece that secures the closing.
We hope you have enjoyed the above reviews. We know the importance of your pet’s safety and health, so we hope we have provided you with the information you need to find the right leash for your Husky. With so many options available, it can be tough narrowing it down to the perfect one.
If you want to go with the very best, pick up the OneTigris Training Bungee Dog Leash. This is a safe and effective leash for calm to rambunctious pooches. On the other hand, a more cost-effective leash is the PetSafe LSH-3 Nylon Dog Leash that will keep your pet secure for a better price.
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- The 6 Best Leashes for Huskies – Reviews 2021
- Buyer’s Guide – Purchasing the Best Dog Leash for a Husky
- Final Verdict: