If your dog suffers from yeast infections, you know how uncomfortable it can be for them. The itchiness and swelling can be downright painful at times. One of the best things that you can do in this situation is to bathe your pup with a shampoo that will relieve the symptoms.
When dealing with a yeast infection, one of the best ways to fight it is by using a medicated shampoo. Lathering up their fur and skin is the best way to get the medication to the infected area. The formulas will help relieve itching, swelling, plus treat the overall infection.
Although some dogs are not a fan of the tub, the harder battle is finding a shampoo that will be effective. The most important thing about an antifungal shampoo is the active ingredient. Of course, there is something to be said for the inactive ingredients, as well.
In the article below, we have found the ten best shampoos for yeast infections. We will review each one for its effectiveness, ingredients, lather-ability, plus much more. We will also give you tips on how to prevent yeast infections in the first place.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
|Best Overall||Douxo Chlorhexidine||
|Best Value||PetAg Fresh 'N Clean Medicated||
|Premium Choice||Virbac KetoChlor Medicated||
|TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo||
The 10 Best Dog Shampoos for Yeast Infections
1. Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo – Best Overall
Our first pick is the Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo. Available in 6.8 or 16.9-ounce bottles, this product will fight anything from superficial to severe skin conditions caused by fungal and bacterial infections. This is an antiseptic lather solution with the active ingredient chlorhexidine and phytosphingosine. You will also find lipoic acid that will help restore the skin’s barrier.
Douxo works on an anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic level to boost healing and relieve itchy skin. This is a long-lasting formula that won’t wash away any topical flea and tick treatments, either. What’s more, the solution is easy to lather and rinse. You can use this shampoo for yeast infections, bacterial and fungal issues, acne, bug bites, and much more.
Another positive note about this shampoo is that it will not dry out your pet’s skin. It is important to note, however, that the formula does contain artificial colors and fragrance. That being said, the fragrance is light and helps deodorize your pet’s fur. Plus, it doesn’t cause further irritation. Overall, this is our favorite dog shampoo for yeast infections.
2. PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo – Best Value
Our second option is a good choice if you need to conserve money. The PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo is pH balanced with an exfoliating and antiseptic formula. Available in 12-ounce bottles, you will find salicylic acid and boric acid to help moisturize your dog’s skin while also fighting fungal, yeast, and bacterial infections.
This shampoo features several natural ingredients that will help your pet fight skin irritations. You will find rooibos tea extract which is a powerful antioxidant. What’s more, you will also find soothing aloe and oatmeal. On the other hand, this formula is made without dyes, parabens, or artificial fragrances.
The PetAg is soap-free and uses plant-derived cleaners to reach your pet’s skin. It is easy to lather and rinse away, plus it promotes natural healing. With that being said, you should note that this shampoo does not contain any active ingredients so more severe cases are not recommended. Beyond that, however, this is the best shampoo for yeast infections for the money.
The Virbac KetoChlor Medicated Shampoo is an antibacterial and antifungal solution that comes in a 16-fluid ounce bottle. This formula contains 2.3% chlorhexidine and 1% ketoconazole to fight infections associated with yeast, bacteria, fungus, and other more superficial skin irritants such as acne and bug bites.
This shampoo creates a low lather, yet it is easy to rinse. You should note that it contains artificial fragrances and dyes. However, the light fragrance helps deodorize your pet’s fur and any odors left behind from an infection. This antiseptic formula will also not wash away any topical treatments such as flea and tick medications.
Something else to keep in mind with the Virbac is it is more costly than other options. On a brighter note, this is a cleansing shampoo that will not only relieve itching and inflammation but will also clean your pet’s skin and fur without drying them out.
4. TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo
Our next review is the TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo. Containing 4% chlorhexidine as the active ingredient, this antimicrobial solution is an effective treatment for soothing your pet’s irritated and itchy skin. This is also a good product to treat staphylococcal infections, as well as, yeast, bacterial, and fungal skin issues.
Something else worth mentioning is this product is more effective at treating superficial skin concerns than acute infections. With that being said, the formula contains betaine to soothe your dog’s skin, plus TrizEDTA that acts as the chlorhexidine buffer.
TrizCHLOR is a water-based solution that is made without alcohol which could irritant your pet’s skin. Be that as it may, it has artificial fragrances that can cause a yeast infection to become worse. Also, this shampoo is not as easy to rinse as other options.
5. Zymox Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Dog Shampoo
The number five pick is the Zymox Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Dog Shampoo. The solution is made in the USA and creates a barrier against microbes. Plus, it relieves itchy skin. This product helps with bacterial and fungal infections, and it has a calming effect on allergies and inflammation.
The Zymox Comes in a 12-ounce bottle and can be used on all dogs including puppies. We wanted to mention, however, that this shampoo has a mild fragrance that will help deodorize your pet’s skin. That being said, the fragrance itself is in a high concentration, so it can irritate on its own. On the other hand, there are no harsh detergents in this formula.
Another downside of this product is it can be hard to work into the fur to penetrate your dog’s skin. What’s more, it’s better for allergy-related skin irritations versus more serious concerns. Although it is a gentle formula using mild plant-based surfactants, you will need more of the shampoo than normal to get the liquid to the affected area, especially if your pet has a thicker coat of fur.
6. Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo
If you are looking for an organic product, Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo is a good option for you. This formula is made with tea tree and neem oil, and it helps with antibacterial and fungal infections. Not only that, but it also helps with any skin concerns caused by yeast, and it eliminates odors. Although this formula is meant for adult dogs only, it is made in the USA.
Richard’s Organics can be used without the fear of it removing flea and tick treatments. It helps relieve itchy skin, plus it’s great for sensitive spots thanks to the coconut oil. That being said, this is not a good anti-inflammatory option, and it is best for only mild infections. On a brighter note, this formula is paraben, soap, and dye-free.
Even though this shampoo is advertised as 100% natural, some ingredients are concerning. For example, the solution contains tetrasodium EDTA that can break down the skin’s barrier. Plus, it has carcinogens. You will also find DMDM-hydantoin which is also made from formaldehyde.
7. Davis Miconazole Dog Shampoo
Davis Miconazole Dog Shampoo is an effective formula for fighting ringworm, yeast infections, and scaling. It contains 2% miconazole nitrate and 2% colloidal oatmeal to soothe the skin and relieve itching. It also uses rich emollients to lock in moisture and promote healthy skin and fur. That being said, this formula is better for superficial skin concerns and does not perform effectively as an anti-inflammatory.
The Davis Miconazole contains no dyes or fragrances, and it is made in the USA. Great for all dogs, you should note that this formula is not recommended for bacterial infections, plus it is hard to rinse. What’s worse, you will find ingredients such as propylene glycol and SLS which are both skin irritants. It is also worth noting that the ingredients list mentions “cosmetic grade preservatives”; however, it does not give further details. Unfortunately, many preservatives in this arena can be toxic so caution is advised.
8. Pet MD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
Pet MD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo is a soap and paraben-free solution that speeds the healing time by drying out the infected area. As the name suggests, this is an antiseptic and antifungal product that uses 2% chlorhexidine, and 1% ketoconazole is an antimicrobial solution that will help prevent future concerns.
Keep in mind, that even though this product promotes healthy skin, it can be drying which can, therefore, cause more itching. It also has a strong fragrance that can be off-putting to some dogs and people. What’s more, it is not effective at deodorizing. This formula is also made in small batches in the USA.
We also wanted to share some of the ingredients in this formula such as tetrasodium EDTA which is a skin irritant. It also contains methylchloroisothiazolinone and a few other ingredients that are not only known to be skin irritants but can also carry carcinogens. Finally, you will need to use a considerable amount of this product to penetrate your pet’s skin.
9. Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Medicated Dog Shampoo
In the number nine spot, we have the Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Medicated Dog Shampoo. Available in a 16-ounce bottle, it contains 4% chlorhexidine. The solution provides relief from yeast infections, allergies, wounds, acne, dandruff, plus much more. It also helps with itch relief due to skin concerns.
Strawfield has a scent that does not deodorize and can be very strong. This is also a formula that can sting your pet’s skin if they have any sensitive areas. Beyond that, be aware that this solution can wash away topical treatments such as flea and tick medications. Be that as it may, this product is made in the USA.
Something else worth mentioning is that this shampoo does not list any of their inactive ingredients. What’s more concerning, however, is that it is not as effective as our other options and it is difficult to lather and rinse out.
10. Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo
Our final pick is the Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo. Available in a 13.5 fluid ounce bottle, this is an antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-yeast solution that uses 28 natural ingredients including Dead Sea minerals and other organic oils. That being said, it is important to note that some oils can be irritating to your dog’s skin so caution is advised.
Unfortunately, this shampoo is not effective at relieving itchy skin or providing anti-inflammatory properties. The solution itself is hard to lather and does not penetrate the skin to help with any uncomfortable conditions. Not only that, but the scent is unpleasant at best.
The Arava Is not the most effective formula at relieving even the most basic skin concerns such as dandruff. What’s more, some of the ingredients are concerning such as the BHT which is a carcinogen, and a skin irritant. You will also find propylene glycol and benzyl alcohol which can be drying to the skin in conjunction with the artificial fragrance and dyes. Finally, you will also find methylchloroisothiazolinone. Overall, this is our least favorite option for a shampoo for yeast infections.
When it comes to caring for your dog’s skin, finding a good shampoo that fights yeast infections is important. Typically, there are two types of formulas available. You can either choose one with active ingredients such as chlorhexidine, or one with “natural” ingredients.
Keep in mind, even natural shampoos can still contain some ingredients that are not healthy for your pet. Take a look at some of these important tips when picking out the best yeast infection-fighting shampoo:
- Regulations: It is important to note that the pet grooming industry is not regulated by the FDA. There are also no standards on the marketing of these products.
- Ingredients: Some of the ingredients used in pet shampoos and other grooming products can be harmful and contain carcinogens.
- Testing: Testing is not routinely done on the ingredients within pet grooming products nor is there any regulations regarding the purity of the ingredients.
- Claims: Just as there is no FDA regulation of these products, there is also no regulation regarding the claims. For example, you may see a product that is listed as “all-natural” but that may not be the case.
- Manufacturing: Some ingredients may not be harmful in its pure form, however, it can be contaminated through the manufacturing process.
- Comparing: Many people compare pet products to human products to gauge the effectiveness of the solution. Keep in mind, that a dog has fewer layers of skin than a human which can affect the way a formula will work.
Finding the Right Shampoo
With all that said above, you may think finding a shampoo for yeast infections is a hard battle to win. Thankfully, there are some things you can look out for that will indicate it is a good product for your pet.
- Active Ingredients: Some of the better solutions have active ingredients that will help relieve itchiness and inflammation. Not only that, but it will also fight fungal and bacterial infections. One of the most effective active ingredients is chlorhexidine which has been proven to relieve a lot of skin concerns and issues.
- Inactive Ingredients: As far as the inactive ingredients, this is where you want to look for natural products. Typically, brands use active ingredients to fight the fungal or bacterial infection while also using “natural” or “organic” products to soothe, moisturize, and relieve itching among other things.
- Alcohol: The use of alcohol in yeast infection shampoos is not unheard of. Depending on the type of skin irritation your dog has, it can be useful in drying out the infection and aiding in the healing process. Just make sure that it is not in high concentration as it can cause itching to be worse as alcohol will dry out the skin.
- Antiseptic: Antiseptic shampoos are effective as they will prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus. This can help prevent skin irritations and yeast infections from coming back.
- Lather and Rinse: Another aspect you want to look for are formulas that do not have harsh detergents or soaps as both of these things can be drying and irritating to your pet’s skin. That being said, you want to find a solution that will be able to penetrate through a thick coat of fur down to their skin. You also do not want to be a slave to the rinse out.
- Deodorizing: Finally, you want to be careful with deodorizing products. Shampoos that have a high concentration of artificial fragrance can do more harm than good. Different scents can be irritating to your pet’s skin, as well as, sting, burn, and create other issues.
We hope the above reviews have helped you find a good yeast infection shampoo for your dog. We understand that the skin condition can be painful and uncomfortable for your pet, so we want to do our part and help you find a solution. If you want to go for the best of the best, we recommend the Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo. This is an effective formula that will relieve itching, inflammation, and fight the infection at the source.
If you need a more affordable option, try the PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo. This is another effective solution that has many soothing antiseptic properties that will help your dog feel comfortable, plus keep their skin and coat clean.
Written by Shannon MacDevine
Featured image credit: Douxo Chlorhexidine PS dog and cat, Chewy
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- The 10 Best Dog Shampoos for Yeast Infections
- 1. Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo – Best Overall
- 2. PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo – Best Value
- 3. Virbac KetoChlor Medicated Shampoo – Premium Choice
- 4. TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo
- 5. Zymox Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Dog Shampoo
- 6. Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo
- 7. Davis Miconazole Dog Shampoo
- 8. Pet MD Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
- 9. Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Medicated Dog Shampoo
- 10. Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Buyer’s Guide